The need for good eyesight becomes increasingly relevant when participating in sports. A sharp vision adds on to the skill of a sportsman and is a critical factor when it comes to performing sports. Certain sports demand a clear and bright vision which provide an edge to sportsmen. Visual skills like depth perception, speed of recognition, ability to see in dim light add precision to an archer thereby improving performance. similarly golf also requires visual skills such as accuracy of vision or how well the golfer can see the position of the ball, its flight and its intended destination. Good depth perception is a must.
Ayurveda offers certain procedures keep our vision clear and healthy. These daily regimes are said to maintain eye health and provide a clear vision.
- Pratimarsha Nasya : Instillation of medicated oil drops in the nostrils. Ideal time to do is in early morning after brush on empty stomach.
- Eye wash : Eye wash preferably with medicated kashaya with the help of an eye wash cup. Generally Triphala kashaya (a decoction made by using coarse powder of three fruits namely amla and the two chebulic & beleric myrobalan) is used.
- Eye exercises : Ideal time to do is during sunrise around 7am to 8am for about 20 to 30 minutes. These include a. Palming Duration: 5 to10minutes Procedure : Sit comfortably, close your eyes, rub your palms and place them on your eyes. Repeat it for 25 to 30 times. b. Swinging Bar exercise Duration: 5 to10 minutes Procedure : Stand comfortably in front of a window having vertical bars at a distance of 1 m. Concentrate on any object placed behind the bars at a visible distance and look through the bars. c. Tossing the ball Duration: 5 to10 minutes Procedure : Toss the ball in air and observe the moments and with same direction. d. Candle light reading Duration : 5 to10minutes Procedure- In a dark room, reading in a candle light .
- Eye Pad: Cold pad ( a small square shaped cotton enough to cover the eyes) dipped in rose water or normal cold water to relax the eyes.
- Padha abhyanga (foot massage) : Daily foot massage with luke warm oil at night before going to bed for about 5 to 10 minutes improves eye sight and induces a sound sleep thereby relieving tiredness.
- Shiro abhyanga (Head massage) : With medicated oils to relaxes the mind, relives stress and improves concentration.
Sound sleep for a about 6 to 8 hours rejuvenates the mind and body. It is absolutely essential for the eyes.
Also procedure such as Anjana (application of medicated collyrium), Aschyotana (medicated eye drops), Tarpana (local procedure of pouring medicated ghee through a specially prepared well over the eye) once in 3 to 6months for healthy eyes may be prescribed on the advise of an expert.
Another interesting procedure called Shiropichu (a cotton pad dipped in warm medicated oil, placed on the centre of head) is also practiced by physicians for a calm mind and sharp vision.
Besides the daily regimes, it is important to
- Have a regular eye check ups , at least once in 6 months
- Wash your hands at regular intervals
- Avoid exposure to direct sunlight
- Keep yourself hydrated , drink at least 6 to 8 glasses of water everyday.
- Maintain healthy diet.
Dr Vineeta Hirebeel MS (Shalakyatantra)
Leave a Reply